Saturday 18 April 2009

Food for Thought

Another quick one about minor Asperger's Syndrome (AS) symptoms. Again this is something I have always been conscious of doing but never really thought if it was connected to my AS until recently.

I'm a very quick eater.

In a restaurant, at home, at other people's homes…no matter where - I've cleaned my entire plate before anyone else has even pushed their potatoes around. I've come up with a theory that has me wonder if it is AS related… To me food is, well, food. It is energy you need to maintain life. However for other people food seems to be a group activity and an opportunity for communication and chit chat. It is something that people get together over to have a catch up. Eating slowly is a way of extending this time together. However for me I don't care that no-one can talk to me while my hands are a blur, shovelling food into my gob as if I hadn't eaten in a decade, and I don't care that I can't talk to them either. I don't care that my quick eating cuts short on their chit-chat time. Food and social interaction are just not connected in my brain; to me food is functional and nothing else.

However it's also one more thing that leaves me looking rude in the eyes of other people.

2 comments:

Beastinblack said...

I totally agree, plus I tend to fart alot because I eat quickly and gulp a load of air down at the same time!

I cannot stand it when people go on and on about their favourite food and the range of choice they have for dinner. They should be greatful that they have such a choice.

A said...

This is very interesting. I have a friend who seems to me to have many AS traits (I have it myself), which I won't detail here, but she is a remarkably fast eater. We eat dinner together every single day, and she too does not seem to treat eating as a social occasion; even I try and make conversation, mostly because I think it's what you're "supposed" to do, and she barely replies because she's too busy eating as fast as she can! In her presence, I've learned to eat quickly too, because if I take too long she sometimes leaves me on my own because she's got bored of waiting. Being on my own does not do much for my street cred!