Tuesday 13 January 2009

Messy minds and messy lives

One of the more annoying aspects of Asperger's Syndrome (AS) is my bad life organisation. I'm quite a messy person and left to my own devices I can be very messy indeed, and it's true what they say about mess detracting from your overall quality of life.

A lot of it is just my major procrastination where I always put things off until they have to be done. So I'll maybe one day not do the dishes and then that turns into three days. I won't tidy up after a night on the pop and then that turns into a week of not tidying up. It's one thing I'd really like to change about myself as it has a slight impact elsewhere. For a start I need about two days notice before anyone wants to come in, and if I meet someone outside as they pick me up/drop me off I always dread them asking if they can just pop in to use the toilet. What I'd do in an emergency like my boiler braking or something I just don't know.

It's also related a little to routines. I just don't have a routine for cleaning or tidying up. I have routines for some things…shower, laundry and stuff, but not for dishes, recycling, vacuuming and stuff like that. If only I could somehow get into a routine it would be good, and I'd be fine. I often tell myself I'll have a tidy up at the weekend, and sometimes I'll do a little, but never much. The only time I have a major clean up is when the landlord is coming over. Every time I do that I always like it and tell myself I should just make an effort to keep it that way…but over time I always slip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
You have a name, don't you?
I'm Katarzyna. I like what you are writing here. It's so insightful, wise, sometimes gutsy. However, I wouldn't over-think your troublesome way of life- it makes the problems bigger than they really are... Have you ever tried painting, writing (fiction/poems), studying astronomy, playing poker...whatever...? You could make your studio quite messy and - very creative at the same time! Regards.

AS-4-L said...

I'm not all that creative so painting wouldn't help I don't think. I'm an ok writer I guess, but not interested in doing anything serious. I have started writing a text based adventure game (combining writing and computers :) ) but I'm terrible at finishing things...my laptop is a graveyard of 70% finished projects.

Art News said...

I'm actually quite similar... I've been writing three fiction stories for years, no one has ever reached beyond few chapters. Yet, having a blog helps, I guess. You keep writing... Don't be so self-depreciating...Best to you...

Beastinblack said...

Work does add to putting things , I have so many things I want to do but never get round to them due to the strain of work. My mind was treated to some great workouts in the xmas holiday, once work came about again, it disappeared. I am incredibly envious of those people with aspergers who use their interest as a career.